Adventures in Groceries

There is nothing like grocery shopping; cruising down the aisles, marking things off a list. Best of all is the people watching involved. Since there is no store loyalty that beats within me, I shop everywhere. I tread down aisles at Whole Foods searching for obscure ingredients for recipes with the dreadlocked, tattooed and pierced as well as the well-heeled soccer moms. I scout inexpensive cheeses at Trader Joes with hip urbanites searching for a quick meal. And then I scout out the local wildlife at Kroger.

Now, my local Kroger is the largest and closest grocery store to me. Open 24 hours, you run the gamut in variety of people, especially at a Kroger referred to as "disco Kroger". Now, part of my job description includes running errands, to Kroger included, and so I've been able to observe people in the daytime, as well as late night food runs. Late night, you mostly get the drunken folks getting a bit of this or that to help stave off a hangover. But every once in a while, you get the guy on the vespa. Now vespa guy rides a bright pink vespa with matching helmet (of course) and is usually spotted wearinng gold lame hot pants and a matching halter.However, in midtown, you almost expect people to dress interestingly, so it almost becomes ordinary. Today, I must say, I observed something just a tad out of the ordinary. A nun buying lottery tickets...

No comments: