Lament of a Plant Killer

I am one who loves plants. I imagine a living space filled to the brim of green growing things reaching towards the sunlight. Fragrant herbs overflowing windowsills, florals popping their bright colorful heads on tables, and indoor palms with their fronds lightly dancing on drafts from the air conditioning.

Alas, I am a plant killer. As soon as I bring a new plant into my home, it will quickly turn brown and shrivel up. I have attempted most herbs, ferns, indoor palms, flowers, and cacti. Amazingly enough, I have even had cacti drop dead on me.

This does not appear to be genetic. My grandparents have lovely roses in their garden and african violets crowding a shaded windowsill. My mother has aspirations of a plentiful vegetable garden for this spring. And yet, a completely dead rosemary cone awaits my disposal.

Not all is lost, however, I have two small pots of basil that have survived me thus far. Not thriving, but not on the pathway to destruction yet either. Three small cacti are still hanging on, although my christmas cactus had one measly bloom and several buds that dropped out of this world before meeting their full potential(The sad thing is, I had gotten this christmas cactus in a 'just about to flower' state). I also have one bamboo plant that suprises me. It's not only still alive, but is...growing? One day, perhaps I will master the art of a green thumb. Until then, I will simply have to content myself with being what I am: A PLANT KILLER.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I miss having my houseplants and my little container garden outside!! Definitely no yard space here in Queens...haha...maybe I can sneak a pot or two of basil on the fire escape once the weather is warmer...