Five Tips To Make Your Next Holiday Trip an Amazing One!

The holidays are a time of joy, laughter and getting together with friends and family. Lights, food, laughter and traveling, whether by plane, train, boat or car. This past weekend, I joined the mass of holiday venturers in a trip of my own to visit the fiance's parents. Here are my pieces of advice for amazing and successful travels....

1. Late flights are amazing! It was my first time flying at night, and watching the lights as I took off and landed warmed my heart. Despite the holiday season, both my flights were half empty. I lucked out with a window seat with an empty seat next to me both flights! It probably helped that I flew up at 9:40pm on a Thursday and scheduled to fly back at 9:00pm on a Monday( my flight got delayed quite a bit and I actually left quite a bit later). The only downside, of course, is that you get in pretty late, especially if a flight gets delayed. But if you are a night person like me, it's ideal.

2. If you go to touristy areas of New York (or any city for that matter), be prepared for tons of crowds. And people all standing in the exact same spot, taking the exact same picture. We ventured into Bryant Park and people-watched a little bit. I promise you, a lot of these people photographing those on the ice did not know anyone out there...


3. Any time you go into a well-populated areas, keep your eyes open and you will make interesting discoveries...

Hello Kitty statue in the middle of a courtyard.

Rather creepy puppet stall in Bryant Park.
4. Don't be afraid to go out on a limb and try out recommendations by friends and other sources, you may find a new favorite. Examples, this weekend's thumb's up go to ... the Brooklyn Flea Market, amazing cheese at the Grand Central Station Market and the cutest little restaurant called Alice's teacup.

Ecstatic over a completely amazing Swedish cheese gotten at the Grand Central Station Market ( it had a revolutionary caramel-ly flavor to it and was only $6 for  a block of it!)

One of the many Alice in Wonderland inspired pieces of decor inside Alice's Teacup
Amazing butterscotch scone was served with fresh cream and preserves. Along with it I had some amazing black tea with mulling spices.
Cait's scone was full of pumpkiny goodness!

5. Accept with open arms holiday traditions, and even holidays, when you are a guest, especially when they are soon-to-be family members. While I was up in Long Island, I got to experience my first Chanukah celebration. It was a beautiful and rewarding experience and enjoyed every minute of it!


In short, keep these pieces of advice in mind and you may have a wonderful holiday experience!

1 comment:

Leah Dalton said...

Oh I could almost taste the scone and fresh cream..darn I so need to visit that lovely place. Alice's Tea Cup here I come, in perhaps a delayed fashion but I plan to visit as soon as I get the chance. Lovely tips!